Is Teaching from Home in your Comfort Zone?

With everything that is going on in the world, we have all been affected by this unforeseen craziness. This craziness has become the new normal. I never thought I would be doing online instruction. I am a person that does not really like to use technology a whole lot in my classroom, we are usually hands on. With me teaching though my computer, it is really hard to preform hands on instruction.

I don't want to say that I was afraid of the online instruction, but I kinda was. Who am I kidding I still am. Something else I am afraid of is heights. So here is a story about how I got over that fear. I was at Kevin's work one evening and his co-workers were power washing a camper. Since I was the lightest and smallest one their they asked if I would be willing to get on the roof to power wash it. I know that I would be uncomfortable up there... but how many times have I talked students into leaving their comfort zone, to do something amazing. In my head I just kept saying, if my students are willing to take a leap of faith then I should be willing as well. I agreed to go on the roof to power wash (pressure wash, same difference).

Kevin and Chad put me on the roof and for a few seconds I was scared. Then I realized that it wasn't that bad, and I would be done in no time. When I finished I it hid me "How in the world am I going to get down?" Chad told me he would catch me if I jumped my reply was "NOT HAPPENING". The next option was Kevin getting the man-lift and coming up to get me, then lowering me back down. I agreed to that option. I got in the man-lift, that got me off the roof, but instead of Kevin putting me directly onto the ground he went higher and higher. It was getting dark, and the man-lift does have lights... But my eyes were closed so everything was dark.

End of the story is.. I had faith in Kevin that he would get me down, and Kevin wanted to push me a little further to get me out of my comfort zone. I know my agriculture teacher used to push me to keep doing really cool and amazing things even if it was out of my comfort zone. I know that over my time teaching students at northwestern high school, I had pushed some kids to join FFA and come to Meetings and to start working events. I just forgot what It felt like to leave your comfort zone.

I get distracted easily, those of you that know me already know that. Imagine me trying to work at home, but I look out the window and I see my cows are out, or my dogs need to go pee, or my phone rings. I need advice on not being so affected by distractions?

How are you doing with working from home?

How do you deal with the different distractions of home life?

Comments

  1. This might be my favorite blog post yet, Britton! :-) We talked about this a little bit last week, but I'll share again here:

    How are your doing working from home: Better now. The first two weeks were really hard. I felt completely invaded. I definitely compartmentalize based on physical space: work stays at work and home sometimes comes to work. ;-) Like we talked about, work suddenly being in my bedroom was really tough. Add full time childcare for two into the mix, and WHOA. My world kind of imploded.

    Last week, we (Dr. Haley Traini and I) got to do a workshop for the NY ag teachers about boundaries (those things that delineate what's yours and who you are). Here are some strategies we shared and got from that workshop (so you get something new from me):

    Setting up a physical environment for work
    --Communicating your work hours to your new “co-workers”
    --Putting up physical barriers so others can’t see personal space
    --Shutdown computer at the end of the “work day”
    --Not checking work email when I wouldn’t otherwise (after work hours/on weekends)

    Establishing a schedule/maintaining a calendar
    --Making a commute to “reset” and get in the mindset for work/home
    --Maintaining Routines
    --Starting day with similar routine (get in the work mindset)
    --Hiring in-home child care providers
    --Reaching out at times of the day I would usually check in with people
    --Keeping course communication policies
    --Having a schedule for the kiddos (even if it’s not actively hands on with them)

    Managing realistic expectations
    --Re-establishing course load expectations (reducing and altering assignments)
    --Communicating availability for synchronous meeting times (which might be none at certain times of the day)
    --Avoiding bandwagon solicitations for your availability (I’m here, call anytime)
    --Practice saying “no”
    --Preparing for other life events (maternity leave, school, PD, etc)
    --Don’t do things for free
    --Recognizing how things look different in the job search

    Breaking the neediness cycle
    --Letting the kids play and using that time to read/cook/non-frustrating hobby
    ----“I’m here, I’m available if you need me, but I’m not going to entertain you

    Finding fulfillment
    --Continuing to make time for hobbies
    --Writing & aligning with personal mission and vision
    --Testing priorities/asks for time against personal mission/vision
    --Being creative with fulfilling your why
    ----A lot of what I love about being a teacher is connecting with students, how can I still do that?
    --Not starting something new (big home projects, new habits, life-altering routines, etc.)
    --Eliminate distractions
    --Meditate/pray
    --Find quiet
    --Find grounding your beliefs & strengths
    --Be present; one thing at a time
    --Breathe
    --Consider what parts of this “normal” you may want to bring with you into your old “normal”
    --Limit social media; other programs aren’t yours, choose what you pick up as examples wisely
    --Embracing fluid planning
    --Finding encouragement
    --Embrace opportunities to recharge (using the lights from something else will drain that eventually too)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Participation is Success

Mock Interviews.

What is a Placement SAE?