Imaginary Foods

I recently got an amazing opportunity to work along with my peers to gain insight on how to incorporate inquiry based learning into my lessons. I learned that students learn a lot from the inquiry method, and it is actually really fun to work though some of the lessons.
Image result for independent learning
As students teachers we prepared lessons and taught 15 minutes of them. After the 15 minutes we got some really awesome feedback on how to make the lesson better.

My lesson, so there were no restrictions on what lesson we could bring to teacher. Me I brought a foods lesson, it didn't really hit me that there will be no grocery's or appliances in the work shop room, but at that point I already had the lesson made and I was super excited about sharing it.

Image result for recipe ingredientsBefore the lesson began I set the setting on the class, in a food science classroom/ lab with kitchen appliances. We were going to have to use our imagination, and pretend as if we are in the food science classroom. The students were broken into teams of two or three, and each team had to create a dish using the ingredients that I written randomly on sticky notes. The sticky note would act as the ingredient, it also had the price of the item and the amount of the item. The students had 10 dollars to spend at the "store" and after they got the ingredients they had 10 minutes to research their recipe. Due to not having appliances, we acted out how we would have made the dish.

Before spending the 22 hours in Harrisburg with the famous KP, I was nervous of using the inquiry method, I was worried students wouldn't want to participate, or would be confused. This workshop eased my mind, and made me feel A LOT  more comfortable with the method its self.  SHOUT OUT TO DR. EWING  for his amazing support for this amazing once in a life time workshop to better our teaching methods.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Participation is Success

Mock Interviews.

What is a Placement SAE?