What's Your Problem

Image result for problem solvingIf you think back to the last time you were in the classroom did you ever solve problems? Now these problems are used to help further student learning about a specif topic. One of the more common examples is the problem of having an engine and asking yourself or your students why that engine will not run. 

This week in lab we did problems solving. I thought it would be super cool to do a lesson on cuts of beef with the problem being a specific recipe. I chose a recipe and gave it to the students, they were all assigned different cuts of beef to research to see if their cut would work the best for the specific recipe. 
In my classroom with the students I would focus on more of the quality, and the differences in the taste. I think that it would be super cool to have the students actually cook the beef cuts and taste the difference between the different quality grades. I also like the idea of actually cooking the recipe, maybe even trying it with the different cuts of meat. That way the students can get to the solution of the specific cut of meat does in fact work better than other cuts would in the recipe that they were given. After they did their own research on the different cuts and the grades of meat, student then created an assigned cut with a different grade. They then would walk around the room and grade each others cuts of meat. 

Overall I really think that the problem solving approach is a really cool way for students to be able to learn more about the topic on their own. I really like having the students learn with hands on activities and I think this is an awesome way for me to teach how beef is graded and how the fat content creates different tastes. 

Questions for you!!
Do you have any suggestions to help me better my lesson? 

Have you taught something similar? Did the lesson go as planned? 

If there is no way of cooking the meat, what are some suggestions to do instead? 

PS. You can catch a 15 minute clip of my lesson on edthena!  

Comments

  1. I think that this could be a really cool lesson to try to do with maybe the Family and Consumer Science teacher or another teacher that has cooking as part of their curriculum! I like that pretty much all the students could connect this back to them personally because at some point in their lives everyone will probably have to cook, even if they never raise beef.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Britton, I think you can "hyperlink" videos if you want!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This lesson was fun to participate in. I would definitely have the students cook the meat to test their findings. I think that would allow it to come full circle in the problem solving approach!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Participation is Success

Mock Interviews.

What is a Placement SAE?