Objecting the Objectives

What do I want my students to know? and How do I want them to get the information? These are the questions I find myself pondering while I create objectives for my upcoming lessons. I struggle with wording the objectives so that they sound different. I seem to always start with the same "students will be able to", and that's not me. I do not want to sound the same to my students. Is there a way around this? 

Image result for different sizes of wire connectorsIf we take the time to think about the word connections, what do you think of? Some of us might be thinking the connections between people. Some might be thinking about cell phone service. Me I am thinking about electricity connections and to make those connections we need connectors. Now you may find yourself asking why I might be thinking about electricity and wire connectors (nuts). For some of you may or may not know that there are three major different types of wire connections which are light-duty, medium-duty, and heavy duty wire connectors. The light duty connector is like the connections that I will be building with my cooperating teacher. The orange connector is like the connections that I will be making with my students. The yellow/ biggest connector is the connections between the community and the administration. If we look at these connectors, they kind of look like hats. An Agriculture teacher wears three different hats, the teacher hat, the FFA adviser hat, and the SAE supervisor hat. Through all of these different hats I will be creating objectives for students to show them what they are supposed to be able to gain from the material I will be sharing with them. 

While thinking on the lines of connections I will continue to take this knowledge on objectives to my other AEE classes. In AEE 413 I will be able to take my knowledge on objectives  to be able to understand how a curriculum is made. In AEE 295 I will be working to create a workshop for FLC, to do that I need to gain a little more knowledge on lesson planning. Lucky for me, next week I will be learning more about the parts of a workshop. 

I was rummaging around google, and found this really cool scholastic teachers blog on objectives. It talks about how the standards are different but the objectives are something EVERY lesson needs. Students need to be able to see the importance that the information is bringing to their lives. This blog/ website also explains the different ways to make an objective, which is super helpful for me. 
https://www.scholastic.com/teachers/blog-posts/meghan-everette/17-18/The-Hidden-Power-of-Learning-Objectives/

Comments

  1. Britton,

    I love the connection between wires and the content we teach. It is so fascinating to see all the connections that we need to make as a teacher to create a successful experience for students!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Participation is Success

Mock Interviews.

What is a Placement SAE?