Planting Agriculture

I grew up being my grandfathers helper. It always seemed that I would end up at the barn with him no matter how many times my mom told me no. Mom always said how dangerous the farm was for a "little four year old girl". Meanwhile both gram and pap would reply back with "what your mom doesn't know wont hurt her". At the age of four, the passion for agriculture began to grow inside me while I would sit on a bucket and watch the feed come down the silo and then onto the auger where the cows would come to eat. It was a few years later that I knew that I loved this farm life, and I wanted to do more. I have been able to participate in the daily farm life, and have been driving tractors since the age of 11. Since then I have gained more and more knowledge and have been able to do more and more on the farm.
Fast forward to today, I still love the farm that inspired me to be the person I am. Many of you knew that I lived on a farm, but what kind of farm you might ask. My pap, dad and I raise feeder cattle from 400 pounds to about 1500 pounds. I used to only take part in the cattle portion of our operation, until recently.
Pap is 79 years old, and still operates the farm daily, but the new technology frustrates him slightly. Technology is
a huge portion of agriculture making daily life more efficient for the farmers. This year we
made the decision to purchase a different corn planter. I know most people reading this are probability thinking "really Britton, you are excited for a corn planter", yes I am excited for this corn planter. I am even more excited to be able to be the one running it. I am able to take on more responsibility with this planter. If there is no corn planted, the cows will have nothing to eat. The corn planter is a John Deere 1750 conservation tillage corn planter, with a zone-till front (this means nothing to most of you, but to me it means a lot). This planter will help us cut down on our field time and with me being in school it means A LOT.
I am still my paps helper, and he has taught me so much more about agriculture and about life in general. My pap has taught me not only how to operate the farm, but how to be a kind human being. My mom has gotten used to the idea of me working on the farm with and around the equipment, (not that she had much of a choice). Sorry mom.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Participation is Success

Mock Interviews.

What is a Placement SAE?