What's a Comfort Zone?

Who is Britton? How did she get to PSU?

If  you asked me three years ago "who is Britton?" I  would have nothing more to say than just a beef cow lover, and then run away back to my high school life.

 Growing up on my family's beef cattle farm I knew that I wanted to take a part in the world of agriculture, but what would I be? Freshman year of high school I wanted to be a veterinarian, then I met a math called Algebra and the whole vet idea went down the drain. 

Picture this, I was sitting in my seventh period study hall, a lady with blonde hair sporting a pink shirt walked in. This unfamiliar lady looked into the room full of people and asked if anyone wanted to add welding to their schedule. I knew that I needed a agriculture class to be involved in FFA. I followed the pink shirt lady to the hall to talk to her about this "welding class", she said I would love it. This lady, introduced herself to me (Mrs. Good, the Ag teacher), she continues to tell me that she needed more students to join the class, or it would be dropped for the semester. I told her I would think about it and get back to her in the morning. Mrs. Good continues to tell me that it would be good for me to take a class that was out of my comfort zone. I didn't want to admit it, but she was right. All though middle school I took classes I knew I could handle. I ended up in welding class.

The next day, I am scared to death, nervous and obviously shaking. I still don't know why I was so nervous, I have been around welding my whole life. I walked into my first day of welding class and we head directly out to the shop to learn how to set up oxy-acetylene. Mr. Good pulls me to the side and says that she is proud of me, coming into a class that was outside my comfort zone. In the 18 (or so) weeks that I was in welding class I not only learned from Mrs. Good and the shop helper (Mr. Duncan) but I learned a lot about myself and where I wanted to head in life. 

If it weren't for Mrs. Good, I would have never ended up in welding and learned how much I love it. I would have never went further in the ag mech classes and ended up finding my love for small gas engines. Most importantly I would have never realized that I want to be an Agriculture Educator, I want to share my passion with others. I want to push students to be outside their comfort zone, to be better students, and better people. To Mrs. Good, thank you! I would have never ended up at Penn State University studying Agricultural and Extension Education without your help.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Participation is Success

Mock Interviews.

What is a Placement SAE?